Why is feedback important?
Usually we have a negative view of the word feedback because we associate it with blame for making mistakes instead of perceiving the opportunity to improve. But feedback is a powerful tool to get to know yourself better and move forward to achieve your goals. That’s why the term literally means “feed back”, feed to grow.
Feedback: the growth fertilizer
Feedback is essential on the path to mastery. Once we decide to develop a mastery of a subject or skill, we must be open to receiving feedback and comments from others. We cannot achieve excellence in isolation.
What is the good way to accept feedback?
First of all, you need to identify how you integrate the feedback. The goal is to determine how we want to incorporate the feedback to help us move forward in mastering the issues we are passionate about.
Here are 4 steps to do this:
- understand that the remark made is not the absolute truth, the other person simply suggests his own opinion
- accept the phase of resistance that awakens our guilt, let the inflammation of our ego pass by
- collect all the information to clarify the feedback that has been provided
- integrate remarks without judging oneself
How to give feedback?
Brené Brown, author of Dare to lead, has established a checklist that helps to put yourself in the right position before giving feedback to someone. She advises the following in the relationship with the other person:
- I’m ready to sit next to you rather than across from you
- I’m willing to put the problem in front of us rather than between us
(or sliding it toward you).
- I’m ready to listen, ask questions, and accept that I may not fully
understand the issue
- I’m ready to acknowledge what you do well instead of picking apart
- I recognize your strengths and how you can use them to address your challenges
- I can hold you accountable without shaming or blaming
- I am open to owning my part
- I can genuinely thank someone for their efforts rather than criticize
them for their failings
- I can talk about how resolving these challenges will lead to growth and opportunity
- I can model the vulnerability and openness that I expect to see from you
An innovative feedback solution.
The emage-me solution puts forward a benevolent and constructive feedback to allow everyone to drive positive evolutions. It allows you to solicit your entourage to collect their perception of your assets and areas for progress.
The user can choose the topics on which he wants to receive feedback from his entourage. The user’s environment can also send him/her a reply in anonymous format to facilitate communication. Anonymous messages are moderated by an Artificial Intelligence in order to preserve the values of respect and benevolence.
Feedback has no more secrets for you, so go ahead and download the emage-me application!